Danebury has a long history in racing, dating back to 1839 when the Stockbridge Racecourse first opened here. It was widely respected as one of the finest racecourses in the country and was particularly favoured by King Edward VII.
The trainer based at Danebury in those days was John Day who, along with stable jockey Tom Cannon, won multiple classics and held the record for the most wins in a season.
In 1898 the racecourse was sadly forced to close and Danebury returned to a private estate. Fortunately the gallops remained largely untouched, being used as grazing pastures to the estate owners sheep, and even serving as runways for Spitfire testing site during the Second World War.
In 1981 the estate was bought by Trainer Ken Cunningham-Brown and a thriving horse racing establishment returned to Danebury for the first time in almost 100 years. Whilst the original Bibury Club Grandstand (which opened in 1867) remains as a monument to the past, it is once again surrounded by gallops and racing facilities of the highest modern standards.